Disturbing Trends In Psy-Trance

Talk about Infected Mushroom
Zalk

Disturbing Trends In Psy-Trance

Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:07 pm

So, I've noticed a few things about Psy-Trance in my limited time here, and I've noticed a lot of scary things.

For instance, the rolling bassline. AKA "the millennial whoop for Psy-Trance". Back in Psy-Trance's conception (1980s-1999), the was no rolling bassline. But in the mid stages (2000-2010), use of triplets as a bass started to become common, notable tracks include "Acid Rocker", "Anarchy", and "Hit The Machine". Now, here's where the shit hits the fan. In our present stage (2010-present), the rolling bassline takes up entire sections of tracks, with notable artists being Astrix, Vini Vici, Ace Ventura, and literally anyone on HomMega. (Infected Mushroom included, but IM actually changes it a bit.)

The instrumental similarities. Such as the drop for "Deep Jungle Walk", and "Big Bang" both have the robot-vacuum sound thing, the rolling bassline is in almost every single track as triplets played on a bass drum, the kick and snare drum loop, and even the rises sound extremely similar.

Then, the main problem:

When Psy-Trance DJs start slacking off *cough* Skazi, Vini Vici, almost everyone at Iboga *cough*, it encourages people to slack off as well, creating a new chain of slackers and people out to commercialize Psy-Trance. They may call it "trendy", "forward-thinking", "innovative", or "a new style", we all know that it's just laziness.

Now, I'm not saying Psy-Trance is shit, I'm saying if we don't do something about it, it will become shit. I still have a lot of favorites from the present day, such as "Chakra", "Spitfire", and "Shamanic Tales", but fact is, we as the fans need to do something. History repeats itself, and I don't want Psy-Trance to be gobbled up by the mainstream like EDM and Pop.
Dragonfly

Re: Disturbing Trends In Psy-Trance

Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:30 pm

Welcome to the Infected Mushroom forum.

Great post...

The youth always wants something new but I still agree with everything you said 100%.
"Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor." -- Sholom Aleichem

Le_SDT

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:47 pm

I like the new trends, when done right. It's different music for different people.
j4kk

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:54 pm

I think we have to take the discussion back to first principles: what is the _purpose_ of psytrance? If it's about entertainment, then clearly it's going to be beaten out by other genres (due to novelty). Psytrance is too rigid as a genre to be about entertainment. When people try to mix it up and break from the norm in psytrance, it can be interesting but it can also compromise what I see as the basic purpose of this genre: to put you into a trance. That's why, for me, psytrance has a time and a place. When I'm ready to trip out and go to a "special place," haha, then I turn to psytrance. But overall as a genre I don't think it should be seen as "the only music." I used to feel this way but it closed me off to all the interesting things happening in other genres (dnb, breaks, bass house, even dubstep and riddim -- to name a few).
Top 11: Avratz ; Dancing with Kadafi; Vicious Delicious ; Project 100 ; Stuck in a Loop ; Muse Breaks RMX ; Deeply Disturbed ; Now is Gold ; Drum n' Bassa ; Disco Mushroom; Flamingo (http://infected-mushroom.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=364883)
Zalk

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:03 pm

The purpose of psy-trance is, yes, to put you into a trance. But what is a trance?

To me, a trance is caused by extreme feeling towards something, like "Animatronica" makes me go into a "sad" trance, and this doesn't just apply to Psy-Trance. A power metal song "Wheel Of Time" puts me in an "energy" trance.

Thing is, I like innovation in my Psy-Trance. I like songs that blend metal, electronica, orchestral, and certain pop elements to Psy.

I'm just saying that these changes don't work for the betterment of Psy. These changes only work for the betterment of the producer's wallet.
RaySantos

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:48 pm

imo, I think the problem may be a (bad) influence of that EDM thing,
I see a big difference between the roots of electronic music (until 2010 + or -)
and this current EDM but it is another topic.
Many artists of this new generation and some from the old
do not seem to make songs with soul (or will as you prefer),
repetition of some elements in exhaustion
(that damn synth which appears in almost all mainstream music),
and with psytrance unfortunately it's no different.
It is like the originality and diversity of ideas which emerged in the late 1990s and early 2000s is lacking,
today we have many strands in psytrance, in the EDM then it is not even counted,
it appears almost that one per week but in essence they are almost all the same
changing just a little thing or another,
compare for example with another time:
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
Last edited by RaySantos on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Le_SDT

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Like I said, I love the new generation of Psytrance. Not a fan of the old stuff except for Infected Mushroom. Different music for different people.
OblivionFall

Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:39 am

Zalk wrote:
The purpose of psy-trance is, yes, to put you into a trance. But what is a trance?

To me, a trance is caused by extreme feeling towards something, like "Animatronica" makes me go into a "sad" trance, and this doesn't just apply to Psy-Trance. A power metal song "Wheel Of Time" puts me in an "energy" trance.

Thing is, I like innovation in my Psy-Trance. I like songs that blend metal, electronica, orchestral, and certain pop elements to Psy.

I'm just saying that these changes don't work for the betterment of Psy. These changes only work for the betterment of the producer's wallet.
I'm not interested in what works for the betterment of Psy or any other genre. I'm only interested in good music.

The reason I like Infected Mushroom so much is because they experiment with so many different sounds from all over the spectrum and do it so well. It doesn't matter if the subject is mainstream or obscure, they do it all. Sure it's not 'pure' Psytrance but it doesn't need to be.

Of course, I could be missing the entire point of your post, so feel free to correct me.

P.S. Wheel of Time is a kickass song \M/
"I don't think there's any subgenre of electronic music I've listened to where an Infected Mushroom song isn't my favorite version of that subgenre."
yoyolast

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:30 am

OblivionFall wrote:
Zalk wrote:

I'm not interested in what works for the betterment of Psy or any other genre. I'm only interested in good music.

The reason I like Infected Mushroom so much is because they experiment with so many different sounds from all over the spectrum and do it so well. It doesn't matter if the subject is mainstream or obscure, they do it all. Sure it's not 'pure' Psytrance but it doesn't need to be.

Of course, I could be missing the entire point of your post, so feel free to correct me.

This pretty much my opinion, if I like the music I don't really care about the detailes (though I do like to look into it with IM since I like their music to the point I wanna know everything about it :fin )
:ymalien: Aliens... THEY'RE HERE... :ymalien:
Zalk

Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:17 pm

OblivionFall wrote:
Zalk wrote:

I'm interested in good music as well. But more importantly, the production of good music. It doesn't matter what genre it is, as long as it is good. Mainstream is okay with me as well as underground. But commercialization and milking a genre by creating cookie-cutter garbage is not.
eRik

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Yeah, 'The Drop' genre.

I think 'garbage' is subjective.
I hate The Beatles. Does that makes them garbage?
I hate Coldplay. Does that makes them garbage?
I hate Ace Ventura. Does that makes him garbage?
I hate 'Return to the sauce'. Does that makes Infected Mushroom garbage?

Was "The Gathering" psytrance enough in 99? But look, it's classic in 2018.

I agree that Psytrance is boring now. But it's definitely not garbage. Not all of it at least..

There's always someone who hates music you enjoy, and enjoys music you hate. Just remember that.
Zalk

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:27 am

I don't think Psy-Trance is garbage. I just think certain people are out there to make it garbage.

And by garbage I mean this album, where all the songs sound the same.

-> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... pVt3xRWSCA

But there are still kickass soundtracks.

->
->
->

I get what you are saying, about "goodness" being subjective, but I have a right to free speech and I am going to abuse it as much as I can. :fin

(I totally agree with you on Coldplay, Ace Ventura, and RTTS.)
KGram5

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:05 am

I think my problem with the music scene lately (in ALL genres I listen to) is that the generation gap is now extremely evident.

You have amazing artists like IM who are veterans. Then you have all these new artists crowding up the scene, and its come to the point where the veterans almost have to put their originality aside and put more effort into blending in and conforming with whats popular now to stay relevant.

We all know, and I bet even IM knows, that another CM caliber, another BP caliber, etc. album would be fucking amazing, but it won't sell to the new kids, and it won't "work on the dance floor" so its never gonna happen. I'm not saying they need to redo all the shit they've done to remain good, but AOM and CV2 and RTTS are not at all the same as The Gathering and CM and BP and OG CV. Everything changed with AOM.

Its not IM's fault, its not any of the veteran artists' fault, its the nature of the industry to blame. We live in a world now where anyone with a laptop can make and release music and the lines between pretty much all genres are getting extremely blurry. Don't get me wrong, I think the veterans are still making great music, and I think the new generation has a lot of good new music to offer too, I just feel like there's a whole "nothing will be the same" vibe hanging over our heads these days.

But hey, as long as my favourite artists are still making great music, I can't complain. As long as these new artists are truly putting their heart into what they're doing, and it sounds good, I can't complain. Thankfully I've acquired a skill through listening to all of IM's songs: learning to love songs rather than banking on first impressions all the time. I believe this skill is pretty much lost due to the over-saturation of music that's out there, and that's a shame to most , but not for me :D
GetAFix

Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:49 am

I feel like the main reason this has happened is playing live

When you are at a gig/festival or whatever, surrounded by a hundred grand sound system, triplets are amazing, you can feel it all through your body, and its no wonder everyone shouts when it comes in, because you can feel it so much

But yeah, I totally agree, Variety is the spice of life, mix it up people!!
My Infected Mushroom fan videos all found here -

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/GetafixVisuals

Instagram -http://www.instagram.com/GetafixVisuals
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/TrippyVisuals
seqdias

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:32 pm

eRik wrote:
Everything is subjective. Read:

http://infected-mushroom.com/forums/vie ... 28#p383628
http://infected-mushroom.com/forums/vie ... 73#p383773

So, if you are a cool human being then yes, we can temporarily trust your opinion that The Beatles are garbage. If you are not sure you're a cool human being, it's still nice to know your preferences so we can get an idea of your musical taste. I for one believe I'm one of the coolest lifeforms on the planet (though I'd rather I wasn't to be honest, and for over two decades I tried with all my strength to believe exactly the opposite), and I think The Beatles are garbage. Extremely simple music. Stuff like Yellow Submarine could've been made by 5-year-old kids. Then Help!'s intro is nice, but then it's all just simple, boring noise. And that's it, I just reviewed both their worst and their best compositions, as far as I'm aware. And I'm not aware of much by them really, because I'd rather chew on glass than listen to their entire discography just to find which composition is less shitty than the other. I'd say their tremendous success is a result not so much of their music, which is garbage, but of their live performances. They pretty much started the entire rockstar thing. Theatrically jumping around on stage, making girls wet with their smiles, and behaving like... well, rockstars outside of the stage, was their thing. And dumb kids who were born yesterday confuse these monkey signals with power and therefore give them far more credit than they ought to receive in a more reasonable society.

As for Return to the Sauce, not only is it a technical master piece, it is also a aesthetic one. So you ought to stop hating on it, because it's one of the best albums that have ever been made. Flamingo, Groove Attack, Manipulator, Return to the Sauce, and Nutmeg are some of the best tracks IM's ever created and they're all on the same album. Liquid Smoke is disgustingly bad, and Milosh is just OK (it's a funny track, said Erez). And, btw, their upcoming Chechen Barvaz is going to be their best ever.

So... what were we talking about anyway? :D
GetAFix

Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:00 pm

seqdias wrote:

As for Return to the Sauce, not only is it a technical master piece, it is also a aesthetic one. So you ought to stop hating on it, because it's one of the best albums that have ever been made. Flamingo, Groove Attack, Manipulator, Return to the Sauce, and Nutmeg are some of the best tracks IM's ever created and they're all on the same album. Liquid Smoke is disgustingly bad, and Milosh is just OK (it's a funny track, said Erez). And, btw, their upcoming Chechen Barvaz is going to be their best ever.
Demons of Pain (Remix) is here, and wants to know what the hell he did to you in a previous life :-w

seqdias

Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:58 pm

My review of Demon of Pain (Trance Remix) condensed to one word: "forgettable".
GetAFix

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:16 pm

seqdias wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:58 pm
My review of Demon of Pain (Trance Remix) condensed to one word: "forgettable".
:-o :-o :-o

seqdias

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:55 pm

I do like the track. That post was just me trying to make a joke about me forgetting to mention it on the previous post. Lol?
GetAFix

Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:51 am

seqdias wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:55 pm
I do like the track. That post was just me trying to make a joke about me forgetting to mention it on the previous post. Lol?
:D IM only messing I just love that bloody track :x

eRik

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:47 pm

seqdias wrote:
eRik wrote:
Everything is subjective. Read:

http://infected-mushroom.com/forums/vie ... 28#p383628
http://infected-mushroom.com/forums/vie ... 73#p383773

So, if you are a cool human being then yes, we can temporarily trust your opinion that The Beatles are garbage. If you are not sure you're a cool human being, it's still nice to know your preferences so we can get an idea of your musical taste. I for one believe I'm one of the coolest lifeforms on the planet (though I'd rather I wasn't to be honest, and for over two decades I tried with all my strength to believe exactly the opposite), and I think The Beatles are garbage. Extremely simple music. Stuff like Yellow Submarine could've been made by 5-year-old kids. Then Help!'s intro is nice, but then it's all just simple, boring noise. And that's it, I just reviewed both their worst and their best compositions, as far as I'm aware. And I'm not aware of much by them really, because I'd rather chew on glass than listen to their entire discography just to find which composition is less shitty than the other. I'd say their tremendous success is a result not so much of their music, which is garbage, but of their live performances. They pretty much started the entire rockstar thing. Theatrically jumping around on stage, making girls wet with their smiles, and behaving like... well, rockstars outside of the stage, was their thing. And dumb kids who were born yesterday confuse these monkey signals with power and therefore give them far more credit than they ought to receive in a more reasonable society.

So... what were we talking about anyway? :D
I'm not sure if you're trying to make a point or expanding what I basically just said :|

I never said anything about the technical side of this album. I just said I hate it. As we already agreed - subjective.
Max Martin is a technical genius, it does not make Katy Perry any good.
seqdias

Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:07 pm

bleh
Alex

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:26 pm

Different strokes for different folks IMHO, there will always be leaders and followers in all kinds of music, psytrance is still an "underground" movement compared to all the pop, dance EDM scene, i think the things you've mentioned (OP) are an effort to make this genre something more appealing to the younger generations and mainstream audience, some artists see themselves forced to do this so they remain either current or so they can gain more listeners, there will definitely always be artists pushing the boundaries of music so maybe taking this so seriously is nonsense. You can always go back luckily to the golden psy tunes.
Keep the infection spreading...
abenzaquen

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:27 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so just a short presentation : Adele, 25 years old, originally french, born and raised in Morocco and currently living in Barcelona.
I think it's really interesting to read people's opinion on trends in Psy-Trance, and it made me wanna give mine.

I've been an Infected Mushroom fan since I was 12. Because they are so, SO right on point with emotions. It's crazy. And they definitely changed styles over the years, and even re-constructed music genre, but always with the same sensibility and huge amount of work behind. They are virtuoses. I've started to listen to (other) psy trance a bit later in my teenage years. At the beginning, I thought it was kind of boring (when you only know IM and someone shows you a track of Raja Ram and you're 15, you can only find it boring at first).

But a few years passed and I've made every kind of research every f**king where to find some artists that would sound at least a bit like IM. Didn't find any. But on my adventure, I happened to fall in love with the psy genre. There's just something about it, right ? I don't know, it warms my heart. More than any other electronic music styles does.

So I'm kind of a "young" psy lover. Maybe that's why I don't really see how it is "on the path of becoming shit".
However, it has happened soooo many times in soooo many genres (rap, for example. Omg what they did to rap :(( ) that well, maybe you are right.

However, I do believe that there will always be some good, some even better, and some that will teach you to love a different thing, but only when you know where to look. Techno is a good example. For sure you have so much bad techno these days. Mainly because it has become very commercial. BUT, suddenly, a new DJ. A brand new freaking artist that may only be 20 years old and that makes your feet take off from earth. It just happens. Because new sucks, trendy commercial shit sucks, new generation sucks, but fortunately, it is not a generality.

"Old is always better" I can relate to that, mostly for other styles actually (rap, rock, pop, etc.) But I think there's no one and nothing to blame. Things change. everything changes. It's just society and it has always been like that. We can only adapt and be madly happy when a new artist decide to go with their guts instead of going with the trend.

I do love many recent psy trance tracks. I don't think it is becoming shit, at least not yet. I might even like better "recent" psy than old. But that's just me :)

And just a last point for the people saying Return To The Sauce is the best album of IM. I can only disagree. I did like a lot of tracks (Nutmeg and Milosh, for instance), and I've been disappointed by others (Demons of Pain, what a waste in my opinion). And yes, it is a technical masterpiece. Technically, it might be perfection. But I will never find it better than any of their other albums. I might find it to be the "least good" in terms of emotions felt.
But honestly, I can't see how, even them, could one day beat tracks like Bombat or Bust a Move (ect, ect, ect) anyway.

Cheers everybody ! :ympeace:

Return to “Infected Forum”

Theme Switcher

Login · Register

In total there are 7 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests
Registered users: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]
Most users ever online was 183 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:58 pm
Total posts 368703
Total topics 29071
Total members 1994
Our newest member Jessieweb
No birthdays today