CpTn_lAw - Sandtwitch [V2 WIP]

Talk about Infected Mushroom
CpTn_lAw

CpTn_lAw - Sandtwitch [V2 WIP]

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:37 am

Hey there!!

I started a new track for a friend, for his twitch channel, but he finds it a little too agressive to be in the background in the waiting room...so, I continued it a little because I thought the main idea was pretty good. It's kinda dubstep'ish, psy-step'ish.

You guys tell me what you think!

:beer :beer https://soundcloud.com/cptn_law/sandtwitch-v2-wip :beer :beer

P.S.: lots of use of wider, Iwish, some gatekeeper and manipulator (this one on a return track)
GetAFix

Re: CpTn_lAw - Sandtwitch [V2 WIP]

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:58 pm

Sounds good man :) and I disagree with your mate it would of been perfect for a channel :D
CpTn_lAw

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:09 am

GetAFix wrote:Sounds good man :) and I disagree with your mate it would of been perfect for a channel :D
Thanks bro!

I moved my monitor speakers in a different room and realized just how bad they sound in my desk. Over the next two years I plan on making my home studio in the basement and have a somewhat good acoustic treatment.
The thing is, my mixes translate really bad considering I don't hear the low bass, and over-hear the low mids. I have a huge dip between 40Hz and 80Hz, but everything between 90Hz and 160Hz is totally loud. It makes it nearly impossible to use for bass, kicks, and mid layer synths.

I could re-organize the furniture in the desk, but then my wife will show some agressive behaviour =))
GetAFix

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:52 pm

CpTn_lAw wrote:
GetAFix wrote:Sounds good man :) and I disagree with your mate it would of been perfect for a channel :D
Thanks bro!

I moved my monitor speakers in a different room and realized just how bad they sound in my desk. Over the next two years I plan on making my home studio in the basement and have a somewhat good acoustic treatment.
The thing is, my mixes translate really bad considering I don't hear the low bass, and over-hear the low mids. I have a huge dip between 40Hz and 80Hz, but everything between 90Hz and 160Hz is totally loud. It makes it nearly impossible to use for bass, kicks, and mid layer synths.

I could re-organize the furniture in the desk, but then my wife will show some agressive behaviour =))
Mate you do an amazing job with what you have, I thought the production on Nestor the Rabbit was imo outstanding :) kutgw!
Le_SDT

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:24 pm

CpTn_lAw wrote:
Thanks bro!

Do you have good headphones? You could produce with the monitors, not minding too much the bass mix, and finish the track with the headphones. Then comparing the result with, for example, a recent infected track with the monitors and with the headphones.

It's "dangerous" to produce with headphones because when you go back to your monitors sometimes you might feel like the mix is off but it's really just because your ears got used to the closed sound in your headphones... at least that's what happen with me so I will take a 10 minutes break before starting again with the monitors.

But in the end it helps a lot to hear your mix in different ways :)
CpTn_lAw

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:00 pm

That's good advice! I usually have both running, headphones and monitors, and keep on switching from one to the other.

I find the A7X's have a somewhat ressembling sound to the HD25-1-II headphones I use. It's tight and analytical, with bright but not harsh highs. However, the low mids are a bit muddy but the stereo imaging is way better on the Adams. The sense of depth is amazing and those ribbon tweeters...

When I listen to recent infected stuff (or old for that matter), I find the bass is much tighter than mine, yet the low mix is more present. Their kick is... well, nothing else but amazing, when mine are sloppy and lack punch and dynamics.
I found that I was using compressors wrong, I will try to correct that. The fast transients were shut down quite a lot.

I've listened to a lot of music since I moved the monitors upstairs, but i can't connect my computer there. The sound is much more powerful, like it fills the space better. I hugely underestimated the impact of the room modes on the listening experience.

Uh.... well....
Le_SDT

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:46 pm

For kicks you could try to get your hand on Kick 2 vst (legally... or not :D)
Get an infected track you like, try to reproduce the kick in Kick 2. I took the remix to Gravity Waves and it took me about an hour to reproduce it almost exactly. I now use that kick on almost every track. I just make sure to adjust the note of the kick everytime, but the transiant doesn't change thanks to the fact it is not a sample but a generated kick! (they're not yet released... labelllllllll stuff :ymsigh:)

For bass sound, the source must be almost perfect. Try not to make out for a lack of snap/transiant with post processing. Try to adjust the phase of the OSC (in sylenth and some other VSTs you can do that). It might help to add a sharp transiant. Then the wonder is with the filter envelope. Sylenth has a really fast filter envelope, I love it :)

Once your bass is interesting enough, try adding a transiant shaper. I use Wave's Transx a lot, Native Instruments has a good one too, gatekeeper can do it (with boost function) as long as you adjust gatekeeper's envelope to always fit your bassline. I love Transx because it is super sharp and it is multiband.

Then EQ, add some low end (try to find the frequency of the root note and boost that one and its first harmonic, so if it is 50hz, then boost 50 and 100). Find some mid-high frequencies that you don't like and remove them. I like to boost some high ones too to add to the transiant precense. I try to keep the EQing very subtle. No huge cut or boost. These can create phase issues (especially when working with the low frequencies) and the bass note might sound off, like it is one semi-tone too high. Then I add a limiter of some sort. I like L3 by wave. But I'll just use the one that I find sounds the best in the current situation I'm in. L3 adds lots of colour. Many times I love it, sometimes it's off.

Finally, in parallel, you can add reverb (Fabfilter Pro-R is amazing) and distortion (Fabfilter Saturn is great). Since I saw the moog filter in Infected's masterclass now I want a UAD card so much :| But I guess I'll have to use Saturn for a while hehe.

And of coarse a kick and bass solver of some sort. I use the one Erez did in Reaktor and I use Gatekeeper as a side chain tool.

I hope that helps you get tighter kick and bass!
CpTn_lAw

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Hey dude that's great advice thanks!
I already have Kick2 and I wateched your tutorial several times. I guess I just need more practice with it.
I use gatekeeper on almost everything. My main mistake was using compressors completely wrong. I was relying too much on make-up gain. My attack parameter was always too quick, resulting in loss of transients and dynamics.

I'll see if I can get Some FabFilter plugins to try. I was using Panagement plugin for everything, it gave me a lot of possibilities spatialy-wise, but somehow my version stopped working and my anti-virus found a trojan inside... :((

For distortion I was using Guitar rig 5, but the sound it makes sometimes is a little narrow!
infectedbass

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:02 am

Le_SDT wrote:For kicks you could try to get your hand on Kick 2 vst (legally... or not :D)
Get an infected track you like, try to reproduce the kick in Kick 2. I took the remix to Gravity Waves and it took me about an hour to reproduce it almost exactly. I now use that kick on almost every track. I just make sure to adjust the note of the kick everytime, but the transiant doesn't change thanks to the fact it is not a sample but a generated kick! (they're not yet released... labelllllllll stuff :ymsigh:)
Anyway you could share that Kick 2 Preset?? :beer

Return to “Infected Forum”

Theme Switcher

Recent Topics

Login · Register

In total there are 7 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests
Registered users: GetAFix, Google [Bot], yoyolast
Most users ever online was 183 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:58 pm
Total posts 368424
Total topics 29048
Total members 1967
Our newest member joshuadavies