Track Highlights - Manipulator

Talk about Infected Mushroom
yoyolast

Track Highlights - Manipulator

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:19 am

hello everyone and welcome to this weeks (late) highlight!

Yeah... I was kinda busy this week and forgot to notify KGram... however I was able to have time to do it now so better late than never :D

Manipulater is the second track of Return to the sauce and is actually the first proper psytrance track of the album (since Flamingo is more of a heavyweight downtempo track), it is as far as I believe from my expirience of listening to IM, one of if not the best track in the whole discography when it comes to pure sound design. One of Infected's most well known atributes is their superb 3D sound design and sound modulation, because Manipulator was a sort of "show off" track to demonstrate what can be achieved with the Manipulator plug in it is no surprise they went all out using it in this track. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I remember Infected had stated before that this track was almost entierly made with the use of Manipulator and a little bit of I wish and while that statement sounds very promising to fans who know what those plug ins can do the result is even more amazing.
Manipulator starts off with a heavily manipulated seaquence like an intro to the design of the sounds in the track and then very quickly reverts to one quiet lead to give room for the heavy psytrance beat that starts to kick in pretty much out of nowhere as if it's a sign given to us by Infected saying it's show time :ymalien:
a few points of interests for me in this track would be the leads in 2:51 and 4:39, first of all they are just plain beautiful, second of all both of them are well developed into their own breakdowns spectacularely and finnaly they (as well as the entire track actually) are incredibely clean and slick despite all the complexity (which IMO is a major point for the sound design here).
The downsides I have with this track however do make it rank far lower than I would have honestly wanted it to because A. it feels like an intro track but is placed second in the album (thankfully in the continuous mix it was the intro) and B. because the track was made as a "show off" track it feels empty, as if it doesn't have any other meaning other than sounding superb, I can't imagine a story with this track while I can with the rest of the album and I think it's a shame...
8/10 for me.

Make sure to check GetAFix's video!

Thank you for being patient and suportive of the series, we did hear requests in last week's post for the rest of the forum members to take part in choosing the tracks to highlight each week so this time make sure to also request a track for next week in your replies!
:ymalien: Aliens... THEY'RE HERE... :ymalien:
CpTn_lAw

Re: Track Highlights - Manipulator

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:05 am

Well, A track where there are lots of things to say. first of all, I must say voices don't do good to my ear. Even highly modded I hear them and it doesn't really feel me with the most joy. I prefer a good old synced distorted lead ala Symphonatic.

The intro 0:00 ==> 0:58
Melodicaly simple. The work around the sounds is outstanding, but again, with manipulator a little bit of automation, it's quite quick to obtain such sounds. The way THEY do it is what sets it apart from the rest. They master every aspect of the sound. It sounds clean, even their distortion is clean! ( =)) )

from 0:59 to 2:49
The thing I prefer is their rythm and bass starting @ 0:59. The sound that begins at 1:26 which sounds like a blend between Erez's finest distorted lead, a finely distorted electrig guitar, and a deeply manipulated and distorted voice, this one I like. The melody is again quite simple, not so much happening with not too many very fast tripplets, or octave play. The sounds again is very nice however.

From 2:50 to 4:30
The voicy lead sounds good, perhaps a little too wide for my taste. The refrain part seems a bit dull to me. There is too much unison going on there with too little harmonic. Nothing more to say, it sounds great, but feels a little empty, melodicaly speaking.

From 4:31 to 5:25
For some reason it reminds me of "Frog Machine". The overall soundscape, the melody...Agian, voices and voices and...well, i'm not fulfilled with joy.

From 5:26 to the end
I like the lead. I like the sparkly delay / gated / reverb duplicated lead which comes on the end of phrases as a response to the main melody @ 5:42 , 5:46, 5:48 and 5:52 an octave higher. This kind of musical trick plays very well with the sense of space and depth, it kinda tickles me and my creativity.

Overall it's a great track for a plugin showcase, especially for such a superb plugin wich is one of the best purchases i've made in the last months (the three plugins are just amazing, period.)

7/10 for me!

P.S.: I would like the next track highlight to aim at Franks!!!!!
GetAFix

Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:18 am

I do like this track, up til about 2:50, Dnt really like the noises used in the buildup and afterwards after that, bit whingy and samey for me, gets better after 4.40 again :) just a shame about that 2 minute section IMO, as a result of this its my least favourite track on RTTS, but, as always, still very listen-able

6/10

Wouldnt it be easier if like I think you suggested before we had a small poll with options to vote for next highlight? if everyone just suggests a track we will get 10 different suggestions with one vote each each week :P I for example would love something off VD, but really dont mind as doing vids for tracks that I don't listen to as much is very rewarding in itself :)
My Infected Mushroom fan videos all found here -

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/GetafixVisuals

Instagram -http://www.instagram.com/GetafixVisuals
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/TrippyVisuals
yoyolast

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 am

GetAFix wrote:I do like this track, up til about 2:50, Dnt really like the noises used in the buildup and afterwards after that, bit whingy and samey for me, gets better after 4.40 again :) just a shame about that 2 minute section IMO, as a result of this its my least favourite track on RTTS, but, as always, still very listen-able

6/10

Wouldnt it be easier if like I think you suggested before we had a small poll with options to vote for next highlight? if everyone just suggests a track we will get 10 different suggestions with one vote each each week :P I for example would love something off VD, but really dont mind as doing vids for tracks that I don't listen to as much is very rewarding in itself :)
The thing about that though is that it means me and KGram5 still hold a lot of power when it comes to choosing the track because we get to pick the 10 options which isn't the best approach IMO. On the other hand a suggestion system would work because that way we would probably just go with the suggestion with the most support (so if you were to support the Franks suggestion it would make it more likely for the next highlight).
CpTn_lAw

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am

yoyolast wrote: [...] so if you were to support the Franks suggestion it would make it more likely for the next highlight.
I fully support the Franks suggestion. :beer

Oh. Wait... =))
GetAFix

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 am

yoyolast wrote:
GetAFix wrote:
The thing about that though is that it means me and KGram5 still hold a lot of power when it comes to choosing the track because we get to pick the 10 options which isn't the best approach IMO. On the other hand a suggestion system would work because that way we would probably just go with the suggestion with the most support (so if you were to support the Franks suggestion it would make it more likely for the next highlight).
Im quite happy with you guys keeping the power :D means that we dont just get the obvious tracks selected each week :) anyway im easy either way so whatever works :)
My Infected Mushroom fan videos all found here -

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/GetafixVisuals

Instagram -http://www.instagram.com/GetafixVisuals
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/TrippyVisuals
Junglist1985

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:59 pm

Great track. I must say RTTS is “aging” quite nicely. Truly a strong album.
KGram5

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:29 pm

This track to me is strong, but not "special". I think its a very good show case of the plugin, lots of cool sounds and ideas, but it just doesn't really click with me emotionally.

Interesting sound design in the beginning, and I love the way the bassline whips in at 0:58. However, the track really doesn't become interesting to me until 1:54. I like the break down here, especially the low passed bass line that gradually opens up as it builds before it drops. That drop at 2:08 is amazing, and my favourite part of the track. The introduction of the hi-hat and that off-beat bassline with the rolls at the end of each bar make this part of the track so fucking hype and groovy, gets me moving every time! \:D/

I don't really care for the breakdown/buildup in the middle, just kind of uninteresting and dragged out. The drop is pretty nice though, cool manipulated melody there haha.

Its not special, but I actually enjoy the vocal breakdown/buildup at 4:33, its kinda silly and fun, truly reminds me of Infected haha

I enjoy the next part with the acoustic guitar, its a somewhat subtle yet effective touch to the track. I especially love how they play with the delay and reverb on it too, just to spice it up. I also really like the part 5:26, I love that sound, it finally gives some emotion to the track imo, and for some reason always reminds of Donkey Kong (I have no idea why :)) )

Then of course, the final build up. It seems like I'm one of the only ones here that appreciates buildups on their own, no drop needed, although in this case it actually would've been nice if this one had a drop to compliment it. But still, I love this ending build up, I think the voice "manipulation" is the coolest right here. Its a very strong build up and a very strong ending to the track.

Overall, I give it a 5/10, pretty average track for me.
KGram5

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:32 pm

yoyolast wrote:
GetAFix wrote:I do like this track, up til about 2:50, Dnt really like the noises used in the buildup and afterwards after that, bit whingy and samey for me, gets better after 4.40 again :) just a shame about that 2 minute section IMO, as a result of this its my least favourite track on RTTS, but, as always, still very listen-able

6/10

If people want to make a suggestion for the next Highlight, that's fine by us. There's not that many people that post in these things (unfortunately), but if many suggestions come in, we'll just pick the one they we're feeling most, and we'll keep a note that we should do the other suggestions soon. There's no need to do a poll each time and make it a whole big thing lol

Just make a suggestion if you want, and if it doesn't get picked for the very next Highlight, it should be picked within the next 3 Highlights! We're gonna have to get through all these tracks somehow, might as well let the community pick some tracks too!
Junglist1985

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Song Pong or Facing please :ymhug:
KGram5

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:12 am

Junglist1985 wrote:Song Pong or Facing please :ymhug:

I'm doing Song Pong tomorrow! So pumped!
yoyolast

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 am

Great choice, I don't think we highlighted a trance side track yet
j4kk

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:18 pm

Manipulator, as others have said, works well as a plugin showcase. Even though I like this song, to me it has never risen to the level of "favorite," despite listening to it almost too many times to count. At times the track seems a bit hollow, as if it's not really *going* anywhere. This becomes more noticeable toward the end, when the layers are stacked atop one another and the track reaches a peak crescendo before quickly fading out.
Top 11: Avratz ; Dancing with Kadafi; Vicious Delicious ; Project 100 ; Stuck in a Loop ; Muse Breaks RMX ; Deeply Disturbed ; Now is Gold ; Drum n' Bassa ; Disco Mushroom; Flamingo (http://infected-mushroom.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=364883)

Return to “Infected Forum”

Theme Switcher

Login · Register

In total there are 10 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests
Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot]
Most users ever online was 183 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:58 pm
Total posts 368703
Total topics 29071
Total members 1994
Our newest member Jessieweb
No birthdays today