A piece of history

Anything Non IM Related
yoyolast

A piece of history

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:53 pm

https://i.imgur.com/gU6NpPO.jpg
I went to my grandma's house yesterday and found this thing I remember I used to mess with as a kid and actually learned is a very well known musical device. Now WITHOUT CHEATING don't google search it, I wonder do any of the musical producers here on the forum recognize this instrument? :D
:ymalien: Aliens... THEY'RE HERE... :ymalien:
yoyolast

Re: A piece of history

Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Well it seems non of you are interested :-?? It's a Casio VL-1 which is said to be the first commercial synthesizer ever produced :) they're not rare by any means there are still a ton of them around (not a surprise Casio's products are very durable) but it was still cool to find this looking through some old stuff, it also still works very well and surprisingly it can also work like a calculator which I found to be pretty funny. I recommend looking up info about it, it's a very interesting device and was apperantly used by serveral artists back in the 80's and still had serveral apperances in current day music like for example one of Lady gaga's songs. Either way, I have loads of fun messing around with it :)
CpTn_lAw

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Haha, nice find!
Do you have sound samples of it? Nah don't bother man, i'll just google it ;)

Now build the rest of the studio !
yoyolast

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:31 pm

CpTn_lAw wrote:Haha, nice find!
Do you have sound samples of it? Nah don't bother man, i'll just google it ;)

Now build the rest of the studio !
Haha sure, I wish I had the money for an actual studio, maybe some day ;)
CpTn_lAw

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:59 am

You know i'm just building it slowly, piece by piece!
I should get a proper room in the next few months if all goes as planned!

Keep your focus and aim for your dreams, settle for nothing less than that. No matter how much time it takes, how weird it seems to others, it ultimately is YOUR life experience. :beer
yoyolast

Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:01 pm

CpTn_lAw wrote:You know i'm just building it slowly, piece by piece!
I should get a proper room in the next few months if all goes as planned!

Keep your focus and aim for your dreams, settle for nothing less than that. No matter how much time it takes, how weird it seems to others, it ultimately is YOUR life experience. :beer
Yeah the thing is I'm not even sure if I wanna take music production as my true ambition, I'm pationate about other stuff to and playing instruments was never really that easy to me
CpTn_lAw

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:20 pm

I don't know how old you are, or what you do in life, but it doesn't even have to be such a big ambition to play music, I do it mainly because I love it, because it gives me pleasure and enhances my understanding of it. Because I take even more pleasure now, feel less frustrated when I hear something giant, because I can begin to understand it, try to retro-engineer it.

It maintains my thin faith in humans, because it is pure creation, it is to me the most simple form of direct expression. It feels like a language to transmit emotions. The simple fact that someone listens to your music and has comment about how it made them feel, that's a really great emotion. It feels like an achievment.

I'm releasing "Nestor the rabbit" soon (will tell you more about it) but when I started it, I didn't think I would even finish it. It was my first track in Ableton, using for the first time every VST I own now. I didn't play the keyboard for the most part, I wrote the MIDI notes directly. I didn't even know how to bounce the tracks haha. There is still a huge road ahead, I cannot even seen where it leads, but it's a fun passion.

Like you I'm passionate about a lot of things. I even have my own company of photography aside from my engineering job. Just, do what you want to do. Leave the fear of being tired, of being late, of not doing what you need to do.
yoyolast

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:01 pm

CpTn_lAw wrote:I don't know how old you are, or what you do in life, but it doesn't even have to be such a big ambition to play music, I do it mainly because I love it, because it gives me pleasure and enhances my understanding of it. Because I take even more pleasure now, feel less frustrated when I hear something giant, because I can begin to understand it, try to retro-engineer it.

It maintains my thin faith in humans, because it is pure creation, it is to me the most simple form of direct expression. It feels like a language to transmit emotions. The simple fact that someone listens to your music and has comment about how it made them feel, that's a really great emotion. It feels like an achievment.

I'm releasing "Nestor the rabbit" soon (will tell you more about it) but when I started it, I didn't think I would even finish it. It was my first track in Ableton, using for the first time every VST I own now. I didn't play the keyboard for the most part, I wrote the MIDI notes directly. I didn't even know how to bounce the tracks haha. There is still a huge road ahead, I cannot even seen where it leads, but it's a fun passion.

Like you I'm passionate about a lot of things. I even have my own company of photography aside from my engineering job. Just, do what you want to do. Leave the fear of being tired, of being late, of not doing what you need to do.
Yeah I feel you, I have a special connection with music too, the thing is I feel that way about other things to you know? I might start making music as a hobby someday but atm my true goal once I got more time (I'm serving mandatory service in the army now so I don't) is to learn programming, specifically how to program video games, I always wanted to make a world from my own imagination, and music actually helps me with thinking about this sort of stuff, listening to CV2 makes me imagine a space adventure game, and your track Nestor the rabbit always made me imagine a world similar to game called Ori if you heard of it by any chance just a bit more... energetic. But yeah atm that's what I'm gonna go with but who knows... I'm only 19 I still got a little bit of time to choose what I really wanna do.

Return to “Off Topic Discussions”

Theme Switcher

Recent Topics

Login · Register

In total there are 5 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests
Registered users: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
Most users ever online was 183 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:58 pm
Total posts 368432
Total topics 29048
Total members 1967
Our newest member joshuadavies